I’ve written about this product before in my post about caring for your sick baby but I thought I’d do an actual product review since not many people (at least the people that I know) are aware of this product..
The Arianna BabyVac is by far, one of the best products in the market. I discovered this through some friends during a playdate and one of the babies was sick. At the time, Kayla had never been sick so I was weary about letting her play with the little boy but I was asking questions about how I would go about clearing Kayla’s nose if she were to ever get sick. Well doesn’t my friend whip out this strange contraption you see here. I was surprised she had it with her but she never leaves home without it. Where she would plug it in other than Sears, The Bay or at a hospital, I have no idea but she alwys has it in her baby bag.
This my friend, is a must-have addition to your medicine cabinet. Let me explain how it works.
First off, you attach it to your vacuum. Yes, you read right – the vacuum. Shocking, I know…I felt the same. I thought: OMG there is no way I would ever use that on Kayla! What if I suck out her brains or something?! But, dear readers, the BabyVac will do no such thing. There is a suction regulator (see the detached tip in picture) that reduces the power to an extremely gentle suction that will not damage your baby’s gentle nasal membrane. This regulator is removable and the entire unit is so easy to clean. Here’s a step-by-step how to use it:
- Attach the large cylinder into the hose of your vacuum
- Insert the suction regulator
- Turn vacuum on and gently insert the tip into baby’s nostril. Make sure you have a seal to properly suck out all of the mucus
- You can gently move the BabyVac in small, circular motions to speed up and draw out the mucus. This does not hurt baby at all
- Once you’ve cleaned out both nostrils, detatch from vacuum and rinse everything with hot water. Use an alcohol wipe to wipe the tip of the suction regular.
It’s also wise to use a saline solution such as Hydrasense to liquify the mucus before using the BabyVac. It really helps to clear everything from your baby’s nose. Check out my previous post about caring for your sick baby for more information about Hydrasense.
That’s it! No sterilization required! It’s he easiest thing. The only thing is that your baby may have to get used to it. The noise of the vacuum is likely to scare your baby so you may have some resistance to it at first. I wouldn’t sneak up on your baby and do it – it’s best to show your baby the product and maybe stick it in your nose with the vacuum turned on. Let the baby feel the suction on his finger and have him get used to the noise. Over time, if you make it part of your routine during his illness, he’ll get used to it.
Benefits of using the BabyVac include:
- helping your baby breathe better therefore allowing her to sleep better
- preventing ear infections because it helps clear the nasal passages thus preventing fluid from getting trapped behind the ear drum