this party needs no intro so let’s rock and roll.
favorite of favorites:
i'm leaving for orlando on sunday, bitches!!
10 days of gallivanting around florida in the sun and heat so please mother nature, please, for everything that is good and holy, give us some nice, hot weather!!
you know how parents are so mean that they give their kids lemons or sour shit to eat while the kid is horrified and the parents laugh their ass off while filming? yeah, i'm one of those parents. here's a vid of kayla at 2 eating her first sour patch kid while her entire family laughs.
other favorite video
an adorable story of cat named Pudditat, who instantly became best friends with a blind, and partially deaf dog named Tervel; Pudditat is Tervel's guide-cat! Watch this video and feel your heart squeeze for this incredible story of friendship.
fining this surprise note in my lunch bag from kayla. by "surprise", i mean she specifically told me to look in one of the pockets when i ate my lunch.
favorite healthy new recipe
something i've always wanted to do was make one of my favorite soups: butternut squash soup. what spurred me to do this was the fact that i had already opened a giant box of coconut milk and only then, i read the box to find out that i had TWO DAYS to use up the whole thing! that's what kicked my ass to make all the coconut milk things, one of them being this yummy soup. other butternut squash soups calls for heavy cream but ain't nobody got time for all that fat/calories.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooking shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced (original recipe calls for 1tbsp but it was too gingery for me!)
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika (original recipe calls for 1/4 tsp ground red pepper)
- 1 small-to-medium butternut squash. if you prefer to buy the pre-cut packages, 2 (12oz) packages fresh cubed butternut squash
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice (i added just a bit more juice - like, maybe 2tbsp)
- fresh ground pepper
- cilantro or fresh basil leaves (for garnish - optional)
- heat large sauce pan over med-high heat and add oil. add shallots and sautee until soft, about 3 minutes. stir occassionally.
- add ginger and garlic, sautee about 1 minute
- add 2 cups of water, coconut milk, salt, ground red pepper and squash; bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to simmer; about 20 minutes or until tender. stir occasionally.
- when squash is tender, pour in blender. remover center piece of blender lid (so steam can escape), secure lid on the blender and place a dish towel over opening in blender lid (so you don't get any splatter). add lime juice and puree until smooth.
*you can freeze any left over soup by letting the soup cool and then storing in freezer-safe containers.
favorite thing i'm going to get my family to do when i die
imma turn myself into a tree and nobody better cut me down! listen, i know nobody likes talking about death but this shit doesn't bother me...it's a fact of life and maybe it's because i'm close to being middle-aged but i plan for the future and this includes what my family will do with my body when i'm gone. bring on Bio Urn!
i turn into a tree, help the earth, clean the air and my family can always come and sit with me whever they want. everybody wins!
happy weekend folks!
linking up with amanda, duh!