not sure what's going on with me these days - first crafting, now cooking? maybe my old hagdom has finally reached its peak. as in i actually enjoy cooking. as in i understand when those who enjoy cooking say it's theraputic and relaxing.
maybe it's because i've been experiencing some great results from the recipes i've been trying or maybe it's because this is the final destination of old hagdom. who knows. don't get me wrong - i'm no [insert famous chef here] and any complicated recipe i tend to skip (shredding frozen butter? ain't nobody got time fo' dat) but so far, it's been 3 out of 3 for me. hi-five a bitch.
in any case, i wanted to share the recent noms in my life so you can put in yo mouth, too. you're welcome.
1. healthy, whole wheat pancakes
i found this on skinnytaste (god, i love her site) and instead of using regular skim milk, i used almond milk because ain't nobody got time for lactose intolerance. i think this substitution made the pancakes so light and airy because pancakes usually feel like lead in my belly.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (i use bob's red mill whole wheat flour)
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- in a separate bowl (i used a large, 6 cup measuring cup), whisk all wet ingredients. slowly pour into flour mixture and mix with a large whisk until smooth.
- pour 1/4 cup of batter into heated frying pan. when it starts to bubble on the top and the side start to set, flip pancake
Servings: makes 14 pancakes.
2. yummy guacamole
ever since i made this a few days back, it's all i want to eat with errting. avocados in my area are hella expensive ($2 each?! GTFO) but i continue to dole out the cash so i can make this dish. tastes amazing as its own side, spread over your burger (who needs condiments when you've got guac?), with breakfast eggs - basically, if you're not eating this, you've missed the whole point of life.
- 3 ripe avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander (i add more because i love coriander)
- salt and fresh gound pepper to taste
- optional: chopped fresh tomatos
- halve and scoop avocado pulp into a medium bowl. use a potato masher or fork to lightly mash.
- add garlic, onion, coriander and lime juice. mix well.
- add salt and pepper to taste.
- serve immediately.
*if not serving immediately, drop an avocado pit in the center of the guac, cover and place in fridge so it doesn't turn brown and look like poo.
3. homemade apple butter
dudes, this by far was the most work of all 3 recipes but shit, it's worth it. i have a small slow cooker (2qt crock pot) and this makes me want to go out and buy a big honkin' one just so i can make double the amount.
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white sugar (adjusted from 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon (adjusted from 1tsp - i like my cinnamon!)
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- place chopped apples in slow cooker.
- add dry ingredients and mix well.
- cover, turn on low heat; let cook for 10hrs, stirring occasionally (or in my case, stir it once before you go to bed and forget about it until the next morning).
- after 10hrs, uncover and puree with hand blender until smooth (or in my case, lug your crock pot and blender into the basement laundry room because it's 6:40am and you don't want to wake up the goddamn house with that loud-ass blender. pour apple jazz into your blender, select "mix" and then once pureed, pour back into crock pot while burning the fuck out of your hand. **note to self: get hand blender).
- cook on high, uncovered, for another 1-2hrs (i cooked for another 1.25hrs because i couldn't wait any longer and needed to shove this in my piehole).
- spoon into clean jars, let cool and refrigerate.
Servings: makes 2 cups. and guys for real; this is LEGIT.
have you tried similar recipes like these?
what new recipes have you tried lately? share please!
also linking up with amanda for friday favorites because duh, these are obvs my favorite recipes this week!